Tuesday, September 23, 2014

What's Wrong With Skinny Bitches?

So I love a trendy pop song as much as the next white girl, but lately I have really been struggling with some of the messages that are being sent to women. 

I know, some one has a problem with the ideas suggested by pop music. Shocker, right?

But seriously, hear me out.

"All About That Bass" by Meghan Trainor is for real my jam. From the moment I heard it on the Today show, I fell in love. I thought it was clever, I love the beat, it's a simple catchy song, and best of all, it fits my voice like a cashmere sweater. Singing it just feels so right, up until she starts talking about skinny bitches-- then I get real conflicted.

I feel so empowered by the beginning of Trainor's song, because for once, a truly catchy song is calling out media for using Photoshop to distort society's views on what women are supposed to look like. She later claims she's "bringing booty back", which I'm totally fine with. But then, she insists on telling "the skinny bitches" that she is in fact bringing that booty back. 

Here is where my internal conflict arises. To her credit, Trainor does follow that line by saying she's only playing, but I do not think that justifies the prior statement. My true problem with this song is that it gives skinny women a negative reputation.  There are so many other choices of words she could have used to get her point across, but instead she picked a word that makes girls with a smaller figure feel yet again inadequate. Regardless of the fact that she is making the claim that all women are beautiful, she's inadvertently suggesting the complete opposite when she regards the thinner women.

And, seriously, skinny women can also have "all the right junk, in all the right places". The real message that we need to be sending is that everyone should love their junk just the way it is, and most importantly, show love to everyone's junk. Trainor puts in a good argument, but in my opinion, she falls short in what she is trying to prove-- because she had to call skinny girls bitches.

There's an episode of 30 Rock in which Tina Fey's character suggests that we can't all go around calling each other bitches and sluts, because that only makes it okay for men to do it. And I can't think of a better way to summarize my argument than with that point.

Also, I could write an entire book on what is wrong with Anaconda, but I'm just going to leave this with the fact that women need to respect women, regardless of size, shape, or coverage of the ass.

No comments:

Post a Comment